These essays are a relook at the anime Cowboy Bebop 15 years after I first watched it. They are just my takes and the show is very deep so I feel different individuals may view it differently. These are just an exploration I took up, not for any commercial purposes.
Disclaimer: I do not own Cowboy Bebop, related images, story, characters etc. and have no affiliation with the show or its creators.
References, Story & World-building
- World-building: Common Universe of Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Carole & Tuesday
- The Mish Mash of Bebop: References and Homages
- Bebop: The French (New Wave Cinema) Connection
- Why Cowboy Bebop is Not ‘Just One Thing’
- Why You May Need Hemingway to Understand Cowboy Bebop
- What Cowboy Bebop Got Really Wrong (Controversies/ Political Incorrectness/Toxic themes)
- Vicious’ Motives: Analysing Ballad of Fallen Angels
- The Black Dog-A Character Sketch on Jet
- My Funny Valentine-A Character Sketch on Faye
- Goodnight Julia
- More thoughts on Julia…
- The ‘Lessons’ of Toys in the Attic
- How Julia knew who Faye was (as per the CB anime guides)
Cowboy Bebop: Alternate Take
Through analysing the show in depth, I came to the possibility of Julia having been intended as an antagonist. This caused a more positive, less nihilistic version of the series to emerge with quite a bit of character development. It answered most of my questions, explained bits that don’t make sense in the overall ‘canon’ narrative so I went with it.
These analyses are done sticking to the series we see on screen. I don’t really “ship” anyone…this was just something I wanted to explore. If you don’t agree, it’s ok. This isn’t gospel-but play nice. The anime guides are vague so I don’t consider them as absolute truth. My other pieces are neutral so you can read them even if this isn’t your cup of tea. If you’re a fan of Julia, just don’t read. Better than cribbing to me that you don’t agree.
- Shifting the Lens on Spike’s Story-A Background (This is not invitation for a “shipping war,” just an analysis. Don’t bug me.)
- The Pivot of Jupiter Jazz
- Reanalyzing the events of the two-part finale
- Reanalyzing Spike and Faye from the ‘alternate’ lens
- Thank you and all that jazz…
- Reflecting on Shinichiro Watanabe
- Cowboy Bebop and the people who should have watched another anime by now…
- Cowboy Bebop Live Action Missing the point entirely
- What’s up sweet cakes? Comparing music in the anime vs. the Live Action
- Be Like Water: Structuring of the anime vs. the Live Action
This is a WIP section but since a lot of information about Cowboy Bebop is scattered around (it’s 20+ years old) I’m planning to just link cool stuff I’ve found over the years which is still around and add any other random useful information from my end.