Ok this will be a very useless post because there are just too many dark things going on in the world and I’m still a bit mentally exhausted at the moment. So I need fluff and nonsense. I don’t usually do a lot of those because there is a creature in me who likes to dissect everything even when not required but I’ve been writing on some dark stuff too lately and I need a minute (here’s looking at you Macross Plus).
This was born of a friend of mine being on my case about not finding Spike Spiegel “hot” or worthy of fangirl behavior (she would marry him if he was real…actually she may still do it). She felt it was required of me since I wrote so much on “his show.” I’m a woman in my early 30s (as is my friend) so honestly fangirling isn’t really required of me I guess but the truth is I never had the fangirl gene (no offense to fangirls everywhere-you do you). I don’t find fictional men attractive whether live action or animated (I’m heterosexual so that’s not the disqualifier either-no I confirmed it too). So I really struggled to put this together but then there are some exceptions. I wanted to do five but couldn’t even come up with that many so ended up adding a section on anime men generally found worthy of fangirling who I just don’t get. And you can bet Spike Spiegel is going on top of that one…because I am a child…and so is he.
Anime Guys I can be a Fangirl over…sort of…if you squint
Ginko (Mushishi): Truth be told, my list starts and ends at this man. He is probably the only fictional character I have ever seen and felt like yeah I could be ok with that. Ginko is sorted and unproblematic. He is mature, kind, has a code of honor, sense of humour, and also has this scientist sort of side to him when it comes to Mushi which again I can appreciate. I like his easy-going nature juxtaposed against his being a Mushishi and I like his whole thing of being a traveling hermit who helps people as he goes. Honestly, I’m not sure if I “want” Ginko or just want to be Ginko.
Genjo Sanzo (Saiyuki): Why? I do not know. The man is a monk (well not really cause he never took vows), angry ALL THE TIME, threatens to shoot everyone constantly. But I guess what endears me to him is that he has a soft side which is genuinely very deep, he is wise beyond his years, has a sad past which didn’t corrupt him, and he is anti-establishment but in a good sort of way.
Jin (Samurai Champloo): Do we see a pattern here? I guess I like the general quiet wisdom of Jin, his “honorable Ronin” situation, his whole arc with Shino, the contrast he offers with Mugen, his general calm and composure. I get it.
Honorable mentions who nearly made the cut: Batou (Ghost in the Shell), Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist), Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood)…good work boys, maybe next time I pick random names out of a hat…
Fangirl-ed over Anime men…I don’t get
I’m just gonna list these. I got their names off random internet lists and what my friends go nuts over….there’s no science here really and I did not put much effort in coming up with this list at-all:
- Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop): He’s a manchild. I don’t get his charm. I like him, I’ve gone deep trying to understand him, but I do NOT want him. He needs therapy and that’s that. I never even realized he was supposed to be “hot” till very recently. Of course, he’s also here because my friend wants him to not be here so there’s that…sorry Spike.
- Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist): Literally a child so no
- L/Light (Death Note): See above. They’re children…well initially, at-least. No I don’t see the charm. I can’t fancy villains either. Who is putting Light on these lists?
- Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan): There’s so much AOT around these days that I can’t even….goes for all AOT guys
- Mugen (Samurai Champloo): I’m putting him here because I put Jin up there. Again manchild.
- Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha): I’m not masochistic so no. Also grooming Rin? Ew, no!
- Lancer (Fate/Zero): Too much of a pretty boy
- Vash the Stampede (Trigun): I’m just adding him here cause I want to. He wasn’t on any lists oddly enough. I like Vash but too problematic and also kinda skirt-chasing?
- Tatsu (Way of the Househusband): Are you kidding me? The man is a ticking time bomb! No!
- Everyone from Naruto/Bleach/DBZ/Tokyo Ghoul/Ouran/Academia/(fill in name of done to death anime)….just no…also mostly children